Friday, January 15, 2016

Dental Visit Was “Turning Point” For Runner With Eating Disorder


In an article in The Guardian (UK) (1/8), marathon runner Tom Fairbrother described how he developed and recovered from an eating disorder, bulimia nervosa, stating the “turning point” was when he went to the dentist to seek care for a toothache. Fairbrother said the dentist “asked if I was making myself sick, because my front teeth had been eroded by 75% due to the stomach acid from vomiting.” Fairbrother said, “It was the first time I had ever been asked directly, and I had no choice but to confess to him,” adding, “He informed me that if this behaviour continued, within six months I would lose my front teeth entirely.” The ADA provides additional information on eating disorders and oral health at MouthHealthy.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment